Risotto is a dish from North Italy. It is a rice meal cooked in broth of meat or fish and with cream. It is an epitome of Italian home cooking to celebrate the harvest season, maximize the spring veggies and spices in the menu. This is a complete meal for your baby. For this, you will need the following ingredients:
- Unsalted butter (around 5-10 grams)
- Finely crushed garlic
- Arborio or brown rice (half cup)
- Butternut pumpkin (half cup)
- baby carrots (2- 3 pieces, cubed)
- Asparagus spears or you can use spring onion (2-3 pieces of it)
- Baby green peas (1/4 cup)
- Parmesan cheese ( 2 tablespoons)
- Spinach leaves (1/4 cup or 20 gs)
Spring Vegetable Risotto is very easy to prepare and can be considered as a family traditional dish to welcome good harvest and abundance. Any baby 8 months and up will appreciate this meal. And surely they will remember the first taste of risotto as they grow older and take on this dish reminds them of home.
- Choose the firm veggies. For the pumpkin, make sure it has no bruises on its skin and the colors are balanced.
- Leafy vegetables and those with bulbs like broccoli tend to collect pesticide residues. If you choose to put asparagus spears and spinach leaves in the menu, make sure it is organic. Choose the ones with vibrant green color.
- As for your asparagus spears, most available ones are the green ones. But there are also white or purple ones! The color will not affect the taste of your recipe. Just make sure the stalks you select are rounded, firm and with closed tip. And choose the ones with not too hard base on the stem. It will easily wilt so put paper towel around it when you put it in the chiller to retain its freshness. Also better to use it 2 days after purchasing to keep its flavors.
- For the green peas, if you can have the freshest ones the better. But if it is unavailable, you can buy the frozen ones in the grocery. Be sure to check the label and the expiration date.
- If you are not sure of your baby’s reaction to cheese and dairy products, then you can skip this.
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Total Time||55-60 minutes|
Bon appétit for your baby!