This luscious red manna is widely cultivated and used for food and even for aromas (think of perfumes and dessert flavorings). Just a serving will provide Vitamin C, Manganese and healthy fat acids that are known to combat cancer and serve as antioxidants. Strawberries can be given to your child 8 months or older. Just 6 medium-sized of these berries will produce an ounce of puree.
Ingredient Selection Tips:
- Strawberries are usually harvested during summer but you can store them to keep longer (see storage tips later). Also, this is one of the fruits that has high pesticide residue so better to choose organic.
- Choose strawberries with deep-red color, meaning it is ripe and best for puree that you will use immediately. If you plan to store of it for future use, choose those that are lesser red color.
- Select the berries that have no bruises and with firm skin.
- Wash strawberries with mixture of water and part of vinegar that will serve as anti-bacterial wash. Also to sludge off the pesticide residue if it is not certified organically produced.
- Wash under running water. Rinse and dry.
- Take out the stems. Cut in half or in quarters.
- If your strawberries are not yet ripe, you can steam them using the Turbo Steamer for 5 minutes. If they are ripe already you can directly make the strawberry puree.
- For ripe strawberries, put in the Baby Bullet Batch Bowl, Push and Pulse and blend for 4-5 minutes. You can add water for desired consistency / texture.
- If your baby is already ready for chunky strawberry puree, you can lessen the time for blending.
- Let the puree cool first before covering the lids of the Storage Cups or before putting in the Freezer Trays.
- Strawberry left-overs with added milk can last up to a week. Puree with no milk can last up to three months.
- For unripe strawberries fruits, take out the stems and put it in air-tight sealed packs. It can last up to a month or more depending on its level of ripeness when you bought it.
- Ripe strawberries are quite naturally sweet so you can mix it with other plain purees made of pear, banana, peach.
- You can also add it with the Homemade Baby Bullet Brown Rice Cereal for added texture and taste.
Bon appétit for your baby!